Like in almost any place where people gather, we, too, have to have rules. This page is the official place where you can find these and will be referred to in any long winded debate at 4am when we should all probably be asleep. Aside from this, we also expect you to read any sticky topics and other notices that give an expansion on the rules for a particular subset of the site. Unless you can't read. In which case... oh, nevermind.
These rules apply to anywhere where there is an interaction between the users (i.e. you and yourself) and the site. This includes, but is not limited to, forum posts, PMs, page comments and news comments.
Note that if you, knowingly or unknowingly, allow someone else access through your account, such as by giving them your password (always a bad idea) or giving them access to your system, they may break the rules. You will be held responsible for the actions they take and punishment - such as bans - will still be continued. Saying "My little brother did it!", "My little sister did it!" or "My pet meerkat did it!" are not excuses for breaking them. Although the latter example WILL give you brownie points for originality.
1. The admins and mods make the final decisions. Moderators are not chosen randomly, and we actually take their appointments quite seriously. We trust them to do their jobs, and if they are unsure, the Big Chiefs are there to assist them. If you disagree with a decision, a polite PM to either the moderator in question or a chief is the best course of action to take. We can't guarantee we'll agree, but we can guarantee we'll listen. Alternatively, you can contact the chiefs through chiefs[at]theacidreflux[dot]net. You can safely consider one of them to be as close to perfect as is humanly possible WITHOUT being perfect, with the owners as the final authority if we get incredibly desperate. Although since the owners currently ARE the chiefs, that just speeds up the whole process anyway.
2. Treat people as you want to be treated. We actually prefer friendlier forums. Therefore, don't insult people, don't start flamewars, world wars or fights, and also, don't continue them - you're making things just as bad then. This includes racism and similar stuffs. Simples.
3. Keep your posts suitable and legal Use common sense basically, such as posting in the correct board. This includes not posting about ROMs, warez, torrents and whatever more. Apart from the TINY fact these things are illegal (or can be used illegally), you could get the site and the forums shut down. We'd rather you didn't do that to be honest. This also includes links to copyrighted material that is uploaded without permission of the owner of the copyright, such as music videos on Youtube.
4. No Spamming That is, don't post multiple times in a row, don't post off-topic, don't post the same topic or post multiple times, don't just make random posts saying "OMFG LOOK AT MY PROBOARDS FORUM JOIN NOW AND I'LL MAKE YOU A MOD!!!". Common sense stuff. To help enforce this, we enforce that any post containing just two words or less will be deleted when found, regardless of content. This is to ensure consistency.
5. If you use images in your sig, keep them small. The maximum filesize of all of the images in your sig and avatar combined may be no more than 150kb, 153,600 bytes. If it is over it, your signature will get disabled for it. Also, any images that causes a loginbox to popup, or has very large dimensions will be deleted.
6. Make sure your posts stay readable. Any post that contains a large number of smilies or characters in a row without spaces that does things such as causing a horizontal scrollbar to show up, or whose height is excessive, or excessively large images, will be removed. WRITING IN ALL-CAPS make it harder to understand your posts and is not allowed. Excessive repeating of one character, like '!!!!!!', is as well. We also appreciate reasonable attention to grammar and spelling. Not doing so makes it hard to read your posts and does nothing more than annoy people.
7. No excessive swearing. Shit, I forgot what I was going to say. Ah, yes. See, swear words can be fun, we know that. But don't use them either excessively or against anyone else in a manner which could be taken as being abusive or offensive. What counts as excessive is open to interpretation to the moderating team. I'm guessing a post consisting completely of obscenities might come under that though.
20. This rule does not exist - But you are still expected to follow it.
These rules are not exhaustive. Rather than spelling out every possible situation, we ask that you use common sense while posting, just as how we'll use common sense while moderating.
And as a footnote, we request that everyone remembers that everyone else is human. The staff, yourself and even that complete cunt you can't stand. People will probably make mistakes. Acknowledge that nobody is perfect (even though the chiefs come mighty close). Additionally, if you see a rule broken, do not panic, do not wet yourself and do not declare war on anybody (don't do that anyway). Report the post in question using the provided facility, instead of replying and trying to deal with it yourself. We can't fix it otherwise!
Any breaking of these rules will result in edits of the posts, closing of topics, deleting of the posts, disabled signatures, warnings, or bans, depending on the severity of the offense. All of which can be discussed or in some cases appealled, but that's for then.
Page written by Typhlosion.
Digg this! | del.icio.us | Reddit | Stumble Upon | Facebook
There are currently 0 comments on this story... you could be first!
If you're already registered, sign in by clicking here.
What? You're not registered! You're missing out! Registered users can post on the forums, submit nicknames for rating, send in your fanfics, and you can even change the way the site looks and feels! There's loads more too. Register and find out, we can't be bothered with telling you, we've got an interactive site to make! Oh, it's free too.
Click here to register, before it's too late!